Tefillin Checking Price List
* Basic Tefillin Examination: $150.00
* Computer scanning $55.00 (only necessary if it has never been done before).
* Full Segirah: (sealing and refinishing the bottoms) $65.00. Included in Basic Tefillin Examination.
* Half Segirah: $45.oo (battim are sealed and painted without finish sanding)
* Fix Corner: $25.00 per corner
* Check Charitzim: $15.00 (usually no charge with Basic Examination)
* Complete Battim Redo: $250.00 Battim will look brand new! See Redo Picture Gallary
* Complete Battim Redo plus Basic Tefillin Examination: $330.
* Fix Squareness: I will advise whether cost effective or not after seeing the battim.
* Heat Press Bending Bottoms: $85.00 (includes segirah).
* Paint Retzuous: $40.00
* Attach Kesher Shel Yad to Bayis: $10.00 (Included in Basic Tefillin Examination and Redo)
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Frequently should tefillin be checked?
If they were never computer scanned they should be checked immediately. Otherwise they should be checked from time to time. If the paint is peeling on the battim you should bring them in.
2. What should I do if the paint is fading or cracking on the retzuous?
Bring them in right away. Black retzuous is a halacha l’Moshe m’saini, a law given to Moshe on Har Sinai, so there is little room for error.
3. If the knot on the shel yad doesn’t touch the bayis is this a problem?
Yes, the zohar is very strict about this.
4. How long does it take to get tefillin checked?
It depends how much battim work is needed. When I am unable to do the work in one day I will lend you tefillin so you will not be inconvenienced and the work won’t have to be rushed.
5. How long does it take to change retzuous?
I can change them while you wait.
6. How are your prices?
7. Will I save money ordering tefillin from Eretz Yisroel?
It is hard to give a definite answer to this question. If you bring me parshios from Israel I will be glad to compare them to my parshios and help you determine what is best for you.
8. Are there any advantages to ordering tefillin here in America?
There are two advantages:
1) If there are any problems with your tefillin, just bring them back. I’ll make every effort to solve the problem to your satisfaction in a timely fashion and I will lend you tefillin to use in the interim.
2) The battim and parhsios that I show you will be the battim and parshios that you get. You should always see what you are buying so that there won’t be any surprises down the road.
9. How early should I order tefillin for my sons’s bar mitzvah?
Ideally you should order them one year in advance, but because I keep a large supply of battim and parshios on hand, I can usually meet my customers’ needs when time is of the essence.
10. Who writes the tefillin you sell?
I work with a number of choshuvah sofrim from the United States and Israel. They are trustworthy G-d fearing individuals with s’michah, and they go to the mikvah every day before they write.
11. Who makes the bettim that you sell?
I sell battim made by the Stark Family Battim Company. They have been making battim for two generations. There are several different levels of hiddur available. I also work with a number of smaller battim companies for those seeking the best of the best.
12. Do you also check mezuzos?
Yes, and I do Mezuzah House Calls as well.
13. Can you provide me with references?
Yes, from customers and from Rabbis familiar with my work. Please contact me for references.